Updated: Aug 30, 2019
Let me present to you one of my favourite dishes to cook on the road - it’s unbelievably easy, delightfully creamy and all finished by a damn good homemade flatbread!
Not only are chickpeas cheap and widely available, they’re also a great source of protein and can be thrown in to a variety of dishes such as curry’s, pasta sauces, dips and even between a warm pitta!
Now, although the Moroccan Chickpeas are the soul of this dish, the flatbreads are the heart! Diverse, delicious, simple - the list could go on and on! Flatbreads are a revelation to your life outside, a wonderful discovery that opens the doors to a whole new world of dishes that can all be done on a camping stove. From acting in as a naan on curry night to being the foundation of your vegan kebabs, the recipe will never let you down and will accompany your meal whenever you want it to.
Safe to say this won’t be the last time you will encounter flatbreads on this blog... Without further ado, let us begin!
Ingredients - Moroccan Chickpeas
2 tbsp of Plant based butter
1 large red onion (finely diced)
2 garlic cloves
1 box of Button mushrooms (halved)
2 tins of chickpeas
3 tbsp of Moroccan spice
1 tsp of chilli flakes
1tbsp of brown sugar
2 tins of chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp of alpro greek style yoghurt
Fresh coriander (optional)
Salt and pepper to taste
Note - I have used mushrooms to take this dish to a new level! Broccoli, spinach and even cashews are also wonderful in this dish to accompany the chickpeas.
Melt the 2tbsp of plant based butter in a large pan or wok on a medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add the red onion and cook for 2-3 minutes until soft. Now add the garlic and continue cooking for another 1 minute. Throw in the mushrooms and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the chickpeas, moroccan spice, chilli flakes and brown sugar and continue cooking for another 3 minutes, stir well. Now pour in the tinned tomatoes and simmer on a low heat for 15 minutes, mixing occasionally. After 15 minutes, stir in the alpro greek style yoghurt and season with salt and pepper. Finely chop some coriander to sprinkle over the top before serving!
Ingredients - Flatbreads
300g of self raising flour (plus extra for rolling)
1/2 tbsp of salt 1 tsp of olive oil
300g of Alpro Greek style yoghurt
Note - A large chopping board or a clean camping table will work a treat for rolling out your flatbreads.
1) Whilst the chickpeas are simmering away, in a large bowl, mix the self raising flour and salt together with a spoon.Add in the olive oil and yoghurt and mix well.
2) When it begins to come together, transfer onto a floured surface and kneed for 10 minutes.
Remember - keep flouring the surface so the dough doesn’t become sticky.
3) Once the dough looks glossy, divide it into four balls and roll into pitta sized shapes.
4) Remove the chickpeas from the heat and put aside. 5) Flip your pan upside down (or use a chapati/crepe pan) and place on top of the gas stove with the heat on full whack and wait 5 minutes.
6) Place a flatbread on the pan and cook for 2 minutes each side, look out for the bubbles on the surface of the flatbread to know when to flip.
7) When all the flatbreads are cooked you can plate up the Moroccan chickpeas, grab a flatbread and enjoy!