This one doesn’t need a big build up or long metaphoric lines to paint the perfect picture for your stomach… no, this dish shouts simplicity, is high in fibre and beholds all of the essential vitamins to keep you on top form!
When all you have is your camping stove and a couple of pots and pans, this dish will sit right in the pocket of ‘practical’.
Golden linseeds are a hidden gem and are always on my shopping list when I’m heading into the wild: packed full of omega 3, high in fibre and protein and a rich source of lignans. They're the perfect answer to the infamous question “where do vegans get their protein from?”
2 tbsp of linseeds (toasted)
1 tsp of olive oil
2 cloves of garlic (crushed)
1/2 broccoli (cut the florets in to medium sized pieces)
Large handful of green beans (optional)
1/2 lemon (juiced)
1/2 bag of spinach
1tsp of rosemary (if you can get your hands on some fresh rosemary then do!)
1tsp of oregano
1tsp of english mustard
200ml of cashew milk
2 tbsp of Nutritional yeast (and a little extra for the topping)
Salt and pepper (to taste)
1/2 bag of penne pasta
1) Firstly, heat up your frying pan with no oil - when the pan is piping hot, add the linseeds and cook for 1 minute, tossing the pan frequently.
2) Place the toasted linseeds in a bowl and in the same frying pan heat up the olive oil.
3) Now add both the garlic and the rosemary and cook for 1 minute.
4) Throw in the broccoli and green beans and continue to fry for a further 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. 5) Next, add the spinach and lemon juice into the pan and continue to cook until the spinach has wilted. 6)Then, add the oregano and english mustard and continue to cook for 2 minutes.
7) Now pour in the cashew milk and nutritional yeast and simmer for 5 minutes.
8) Season with salt & pepper, remove from the heat and place a lid over the pan.
9) Fill up a saucepan with water and a little salt and bring to boil.
10) Cook the wholegrain penne in accordance to the packet.
11) Drain and add the pasta to the sauce, mixing well.
12) Sprinkle in the golden linseeds then serve and enjoy!
Thank you for reading!